Tuesday, November 27, 2018
#GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back.
Celebrated annually on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, #GivingTuesday follows widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday with a beginning to the charitable season, when many people focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving through contributions and acts of service.
Here in North Texas COMMUNITY FOR PERMANENT SUPPORTED HOUSING strives to affect change by creating more affordable, accessible housing for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
2018-2019 Funding Needs
1) Identify self-advocates and parents of children with special needs in the DFW area who may want housing. We do this by building relationships with school districts, special needs athletic events, camps, service providers, affordable housing events, and legal, financial and medical professionals who serve this community.
2) Build relationships with property owners to ensure they are aware of the need for housing for people with disabilities.
3) Collaborate with Housing Authorities across DFW who are establishing affordable housing options for people with disabilities. CPSH has letters of commitment with 8 housing authorities to participate in their projects.
4) Create and offer voucher workshops in with Housing Authorities for citizens interested in participating in voucher programs.
5) Offer Home Safety Training classes.
6) Offer Project Independence Workshops.
7) Create community interest in attendant care as a career.