CPSH Learning Center
Many families are connected to the internet. Learning to be more independent can happen on line as well as in classrooms.
CPSH wants to give families independent living learning opportunities 24/7. CPSH is creating this page so that you can access topics that are specific to your child's future independence.
Some of the training selected for this website will be for parents to share with their children. Other training will be independent learning based on the individual's abilities. Training may also be used in groups.
How much training does your child need? What areas does your child need to learn and practice to become more independent?
What are the areas that need to be addressed in order for you and your child to feel comfortable living on his or her own, with supports if necessary?
Do you know of online content or videos this page should link to?
Educators and Providers, do you know of training we should include?
Would you like to volunteer to research content and manage updates to this page?
To share content or volunteer go here. More content will happen faster if you contribute.
- Wallet Size Emergency Contact Card
- Home Safety Checklist
- Keep Your Hands to Yourself
- Kitchen Safety
- Disabled Home Modification Checklists and Funding
- Home Modifications and Selling Your Home
- Special Needs Safety Around Construction Sites
- Cleaning the bathroom
- Cleaning the kitchen
- Kitchen adaptations for visually challenged
- Cleaning the bedroom
Socialization & Behavior
- Talking About Sexuality with a person with Special Needs
- Sexual Health
- Sexuality and Developmental Disability: A guide for parents
Sexuality & Sexuality Instruction with Learners with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Other Developmental Disabilities
- The Mad Family: Anger Management
- Challenging Behaviors Toolkit
- 20 minute yoga for beginners
- Menstruation instructional video (girl with Down syndrome - graphic)
- Puberty and Adolescence Resource: A Guide for Parents - Download
- Teaching your teen about debit cards
- Various Topics
- Stepping Stones - Daily Routines
- Technology Guide for People with Disabilities
- Low Vision Internet Gateway
Other Notable Resources
- The Arc of Texas Master Pooled Trust
- “Peace of Mind: A Guide to Supporting Special Kids with Special Needs”
- Dallas News Special Needs Blog