Relocating to DFW?

Destination DFW: Housing For adults with special needs

By Robin LeoGrande, President, CPSH

January 16, 2016

Now that you’ve decided to move to the DFW area, you may want to consider contacting COMMUNITY FOR PERMANENT SUPPORTED HOUSING ( ) to discover unique independent living housing options for your adult with special needs.

You may already know that the advantages to moving here are the dedication of parents, educators, service providers, neighbors who work together to create a community respectful of everyone.  Did you know that the highest concentration in Texas of people with special needs (autism, Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, traumatic brain injury and other disabilities) live in the DFW area?  Some of the most exciting programs and services are available here.

In your plans for relocation you may have already identified schools, doctors, therapies, and social organizations that can assist your loved one. You may have already discussed insurance coverage and the benefits of relocating with your employer.

Have you thought about more independent living for your (future) adult with special needs?   COMMUNITY FOR PERMANENT SUPPORTED HOUSING is collaborates with parents, property owners, all levels of government and the larger community in North Texas to establish safer, more affordable, housing options for our loved ones with special needs. Housing created through CPSH is not a traditional group home.     CPSH was recognized with a Vision Award, for our accomplishments by the Texas Department of Ageing and Disabilities Services in 2015.

COMMUNITY FOR PERMANENT SUPPORTED HOUSING has two projects that help families transition their adult to more independently living, with supports as necessary.  

Project Independence (SM) is a co-operative program for community living established in locations throughout the DFW area.  Parents, family members and adult children with intellectual or developmental challenges get together for fun, social engagement with the goal of independent living for the adult children. The parents form a Project Independence co-op with the intent of helping their adult children live on their own, with support and assistance. The Co-op members select homes or apartments that they would like their adults to live. Over time the adults move into these residences. The parents and their successors provide training, enrichment and social activities. The adults and their parents create lifelong friendships and build a social community. (More information:

Neighborhood Homes is a program in North Texas that reduces rent for adults with special needs living in homes purchased by families or property owners in neighborhoods across DFW.  Up to three adults with special needs live in a home.  The homeowner selects who lives in a home.  Imagine your child living with people they already know!  The Dallas Housing Authority and COMMUNITY FOR PERMANENT SUPPORTED HOUSING work together to offer this program to people across DFW periodically.  CPSH keeps a list of homes that have openings and refers families to those homeowners.  (More information:

Both these programs are flexible.  They are suitable for adults with all levels of support needs.  The support services may be though a Medicaid or a private pay provider.   The programs encourage life long friendships and participating in the local community.  Parents like these programs because they can help their adults transition in their own time,  these programs are close to where the families live, and safety is the first priority.

Whatever your child’s age, preparing for independent living can feel like a monumental task.  Fortunately in the DFW area families help each other through this journey.  To help you get started here are a few things to think about:

As soon as your child turns 18 sign him/her up for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). 

When you have decided to move to Texas, sign up for the CPSH e-newsletter (, identify the Texas chapters of the organizations you are part of now, search to find groups in the DFW area that fit your child’s and your social needs.

As soon as your child moves to Texas contact the State of Texas about Medicaid Waiver services.  Some services may require SSI.  If your child already has Medicaid Waiver services, you’ll want to share this information.  The Texas Medicaid hotline is 1-800-252-8263.

 When you move to the DFW area you are invited to get involved in COMMUNITY FOR PERMANENT SUPPORTED HOUSING.  CPSH has many ways you can help the DFW community continue creating safe, affordable housing, with supports for adults with special needs.  (More Information: or